SONG RECOMMENDATIONS (AUGUST 2019)

by - August 25, 2019


Credit to Pinterest for the treble clef + piano keys artwork

I find the utmost delight in discovering new music, sharing it with other people and receiving suggestions from others. I think I might have annoyed quite a few people when I gave them links to songs that I came across on Spotify. God bless those souls for being patient with me.

Since I genuinely enjoy recommending songs, I've decided to write a monthly post that solely focuses on music recommendations - songs that I've been listening to on repeat each month. I really hope that you'll stumble upon one or two tracks that might make it to your playlists. That being said, here are some of my picks for this month:

1. Pieces of Us - Mark Ronson (ft. King Princess) 
From Mark Ronson's Late Night Feelings



There's a reason why I'm placing this track as the first recommendation: it is my number one favourite as of now. I honestly can't go a day without listening to this song. Pieces of Us is a dreamy modern pop record accompanied by delicate synths and strong kicks that remind you of pop music from the 90's. This song is probably one of my all-time favourites sonically or production-wise. I mean...the breakdown after the bridge and the smooth transition to the final chorus? Simply brilliant. This upbeat track is perfect for when you want something to bop your head to, but it also gives off the atmosphere of heartbreaks and frustration.

2. Softly - Clairo
From Clairo's Immunity


For me, this is a standout track from our favourite bedroom pop artist's debut album Immunity. I love how calming and 'soft' (pun intended) the song is - with the repeated guitar riffs, chill drum beats and Clairo's almost 'sleepy' and soothing mezzo-soprano voice. Personally, this would totally be the song I would opt for as the background song of a video for my other half.

3) Science - Allie X
From Allie X'x Super Sunset EP


Have you ever listened to a song and a clear image or scenery is conjured up in your mind? This song does it for me. I always imagine myself to be standing in the middle of a city lit up with bright neon lights around. I specifically visualize neon blue, purple and yellow whenever I listen to this song. Science talks about how everything feels so natural when you're with someone that you have such high compatibility with. I find it interesting how the message of this song is so contradictory to its production. The song talks about the naturalness of a relationship, but there's so much going on in the production and I can say that that there's a slight heaviness in the way the track is produced. I think this kind of duality is an element that really elevates a record.

4. Volcanic Love - The Aces
From The Aces' When My Heart Felt Volcanic


The first time I came across this song, I just freaked out over how good it is. I wanted to immediately go out for a car ride and blast the heck out of this song. I always imagine this song to be played at the beginning of early 2000's coming-of-age movies. Anyway, we love a budding-romance summer anthem by an all-female band.

5. Talia - King Princess
From King Princess' Make My Bed EP


If anyone ever asked me to describe my music preferences, I would show them this song. Yes, it's another track by King Princess. Yes, I am in love with her. If you're following me on Twitter, you might have seen my thirst tweets for her debut full-length album and my obsession with this particular track. Let me tell you something about this song: it's so good that you don't know whether to bop or cry your heart out to it. Since I don't want to complicate things, I just decided to do both simultaneously. This song captures the theme of denial really well. You try to convince yourself that it's okay even though the relationship has ended and it has taken so much from you. But once the substance hits you, what you really feel about the whole situation and what you really desire just come washing over you like a gigantic wave. When Mikaela (King Princess' real name) sings "Talia, I hope you're happy anyway", I can actually feel my heart breaking. And I also feel like I need to teach Talia a lesson too (whoever she is), but we don't condone violence in this house.

6. Gleam - MAMAMOO


Give me one girl group that can make a commercial song sound like it should be a comeback song. You can't. This song has everything you need for a good comeback: good vocals, good lyrics, amazing rap flow, amazing production, fun choreography and an aesthetically-pleasing video. In other words, MAMAMOO does not disappoint.

7. Sugarplum Elegy - NIKI


If you're a fan of Joji, then you might have heard of Niki. She's an Indonesian R&B singer signed under the same label as Joji and she writes as well produces her own songs, which makes her a very promising artist. Sugarplum Elegy is a mellow R&B track with Christmassy vibes, in which Niki talks about how her relationship with her partner is hanging by a thread and they're both "tiptoeing around the innocent truth" by pretending that everything's fine. This song  kind of makes me want to experience winter nights just so I could sit by the fireplace and listen to it. Definitely not possible in Malaysia. I find the ending of the song impactful when Niki sings, "I'm so proud I got to love you once", which does not really happen in breakup songs nowadays. That particular line sounds almost like a point of realization that you did not really lose anything in the relationship. That person might have made you feel unneeded, but you had big enough of a heart to love them so unconditionally. So really, it's not your loss. 

8. My Bad - Khalid
From Khalid's Free Spirit


I know Khalid is almost everyone's favourite R&B artist nowadays and he truly does deserve that amount of love and respect. My Bad is one of my favourite tracks on his album Free Spirit. I don't have a lot to say about this song, but if I see any kinds of disrespect towards it, then you and I are going to have several discussions.

9. Tomorrow Tomorrow - Babygirl


This song is totally meant and written for a worrier like me. Being a type six (of the Enneagram), I tend to overthink and create the worst-case scenarios in my head. Worrying too much about the future has always been one of my biggest problems. Occasionally, I tend to neglect what's happening in the present because I'm too caught up in making and overthinking plans for what's ahead. Hence, this song is a nice, warm and soothing reminder for all of us to save our energy today for today and tomorrow's energy for tomorrow. It's not always a good thing to be one step ahead if it means you're risking the present. Just like one of the lines in the song, "I'll think about tomorrow, tomorrow."

10. Death by a Thousand Cuts - Taylor Swift
From Taylor Swift's Lover

(I can't seem to add the official audio so this will have to do.)

Initially, I wanted to put another song as the last recommendation but ever since the release of Taylor Swift's Lover, Death by a Thousand Cuts is one of the songs that I haven't been able to get out of my head. I love that album to death and there are so many good songs on the record, but I've been listening to this one the most. The fact that it was inspired by the Netflix film Someone Great just makes it even more beautiful and sad for me. I can really see Jenny (the main character) and her dynamics in the lyrics. Taylor did a wonderful job at capturing the character's struggles with the aftermaths of a years-long relationship ending. If you haven't watched the film, please do so! I think it's one of the most realistic romantic comedy films. It doesn't sugarcoat the pain of a breakup and there isn't a fairytale happy ending, either. Rest assured, you'll be going on a rollercoaster ride of emotions.


I hope you'll enjoy these songs as much as I do. I'll come back with another ten recommendations next month! It would be lovely if you could also drop some song recommendations in the comment box below. There's no harm in sharing and appreciating art together.

Thank you for reading and have a beautiful day. 💘



You May Also Like

0 comments