Playlist Dry? Here Are 5 Recommended Artists To Keep Your Playlist Cute and Seasoned.

by - November 06, 2021

For a self-proclaimed music enthusiast, I sure have a strong tendency to listen to the same ten songs over and over again. I think it has a lot to do with my fondness towards familiarity. Nonetheless, sometimes I get frustrated knowing that there is plenty of good music out there that I have yet to discover. Hence, I've been trying to squeeze in some time to step out of my little "music bubble". Guess what? I found out that there are other artists that can make me feel things the way Taylor Swift and Phoebe Bridgers do. Shocker.

I'm delighted to recommend these five wonderful artists that should be in your playlist starting today:


1. Billie Marten 

Image by Josh Skinner via The Guardian

These past few years have witnessed an impressive amount of young talent bringing colours to the music industry. Billie Marten is another young force to be reckoned with. In fact, I think she has got to be one of today's most polished songwriters. Her lyrical skills are incredibly refined. Even if the prominent jazz/indie folk influence across her repertoire may not necessarily be your cup of tea, you cannot dismiss the maturity and wisdom that she ever so effortlessly exudes in her lyrics. 

Currently, I am in love with her second full-length album Feeding Seahorses by Hand, particularly its second track titled Mice. In one interview, she mentioned that the song was written when she was feeling "empty and lacking a lot of purpose" (sounds a lot like yours truly). With lines brimming with self-awareness like "I can doubt myself and then I'll doubt you" and "To me, I am my only vice", it's impossible to not resonate with her music.

Billie Marten's music doesn't demand for your attention; rather, it's much like that one friend who is more than happy to accompany you as you study/work, do chores or simply lie in your bed hearing the pitter-patter of the rain outside. Even in Flora Fauna (her third full album) in which she experimented with productions that mark a departure from the mostly acoustic-led sound in the two preceding albums, there's still beautiful subtlety underneath. While that is true, when you do pay attention to her, her music can be the reason to shut down everything else that's going on around you for just so you can indulge in an introspective experience she can bring you with her profound lyricism.

Personal favourites:
  • La Lune, Bird, Green, Teeth and Heavy Weather from Writing of Blues and Yellows (2016)
  • Cartoon People and Mice from Feeding Seahorses by Hand (2019)
  • Human Replacement and Pigeon from Flora Fauna (2021)
Bonus:
  • The Feeding Seahorses by Hand (Live Album) BBC York on YouTube. The entire atmosphere of the performances and her vocal control are absolutely mesmerising. I think I actually prefer the live album to the studio version.

2. Joy Oladokun

Image by Nolan Knight via The Bluegrass Situation

I truly have to thank Spotify from the deepest of my heart for this one. When Joy Oladokun's song heaven from here first came up when I put my "Discover Weekly" playlist on shuffle, I remember thinking, "Wow, THIS is the artist that we should be paying attention to." I am not exactly the most erudite in terms of vocal abilities, but as a listener, I can say with great confidence that she has so much versatility in her voice. This versatility is translated into the range of genres that she has explored and excelled in: pop, folk, R&B, ballad...you name it.

One of the things I love about Oladokun's music is its rawness. When I listened to i see america (a track off her 2020 full album in defense of my own happiness) for the first time, I found myself hanging on to each and every word recounting her story as a woman of colour. That is how you know the artist is not just a great songwriter, but also an astounding storyteller. Also, Poison off her first album Carry is, dare I say, one of the best songs I have stumbled upon this year. The way she writes and sings about the detrimental pleasure gained from a perilous, doomed relationship - calling it "a dagger draped in jewelry" - is everything I believe a ballad should be.

Personal favourites:
  • i see america, bad blood, jordan, smoke, heaven from here (with Penny and Sparrow) from in defense of my own happiness (2021)
  • Poison and Animals & Angels from Carry (2016)

3. Trousdale

Image by Bradley Atkinson via VoyageLA

I have talked about these gorgeous and mind-blowingly talented women on my Twitter account, but I am not done with my little Trousdale agenda just yet. The LA-based folk pop trio are my go-to artists at any given time. Need some good songs to cry to? They have your back with Wouldn't Come Back, Better Off, and Always, Joni. Done with your crying and ready to live the life that you deserve? Drive or dance your heart to This Is It or Happy Anymore.

I adore these women's friendship and love for each other, which are conspicuous in their impeccable harmonies (and their Instagram stories, seriously, they are adorable). When I watch their live performances, I can see how much they love music and performing as a trio. When this passion is evident, it propels the audience.

They have one EP out right now and an NPR live session coming very soon. I'm really looking forward for more Trousdale content, which includes (*fingers crossed*) their first full album. With a discography as solid as their present one, these ladies have a bright future ahead. 

Personal favourites:
  • Wouldn't Come Back and Better Off from their EP Look Around. The live version of these two songs hits differently.

4. Official HIGE DANdism

Photo: Billboard Japan

If you watch Tokyo Revengers, then you might know this Japanese band. They sing the spectacular OP of the anime, and I am not exaggerating when I say that my life has not been the same ever since I first heard Cry Baby

There are songs that you love for their lyrics, songs that you love for their catchy tune or composition, and those that you love because of the theme and concept that they touch on. Higedan's song Apoptosis from their latest album Editorial is a piece that I admire for all of the three elements. Seeing the title Apoptosis itself can already engage you before you even hit 'play', which, by the way, is a physiological term that refers to "the death of cells which occurs as a normal and controlled part of an organism's growth or development"- definition courtesy of our beloved and trusted Ms. Google. The band touches on this analogy as the lead singer, Satoshi Fujihara, sings about the inevitability (and sometimes indispensability) of having to say goodbye to the familiarity that we are used to as we brave the uncertainty of the future as part of growing up. If you're anything like me, you might relate to this song a little too much.

Simply put, they are amazing. You can just play their songs/MVs on shuffle on YouTube, and you might end up liking every single one of them. 

Personal favourites:
  • Cry Baby, Apoptosis, and Midori no Amayoke from Editorial (2021)
  • Pretender from Traveler (2019)
  • 115 Million Kilometer Film and LADY from Escaparade (2018)
  • Itan na Star from Report (2017)

5. Allison Ponthier

Photo: NPR

Again, I have to thank Spotify for yet another exciting discovery, who goes by the name Allison Ponthier. The first song that I heard from her is Harshest Critic. I'm certain that the lines were taken straight out of my thoughts and feelings. Shortly after, I found out that she has a collaboration with the Lord Huron on one of his songs called I Lied. I couldn't get over how gorgeous she sounds on the track, so I went ahead and check out the rest of her work- a decision that I have highlighted as one of my best amidst all the bad, questionable decisions I have made this year. This decision led me to one of my favourite songs from her titled Hell Is a Crowded Room from her sole EP Faking My Own Death. I'm already obsessed with the clarity in her vocals, but the reverb on her vocals in this track is such a cool production move that amplifies the theme of loneliness and desperation.

I do not doubt that she will be even more successful in the future. Her visually stunning videos are evidence that she's a visionary artist, and one that is here to stay.

Personal favourite:
  • Seriously, just go check out the entire Faking My Own Death EP.


Please show a lot of love to these amazing artists and thank me later! 







You May Also Like

0 comments